Business Intelligence Analyst
- Employment Type
The Business Intelligence Analyst works closely with the Financial Planning & Analysis team, as well as the IT team to bring the company’s analytical system, Cognos BI, to maximize data analytics. This position is responsible for creating new reports and formats, and developing new Key Performance Indicators.
The Business Intelligence Analyst, as with all members of Monarch properties, provides excellent customer service to all Team Members, is expected to conduct himself/herself in a manner which demonstrates initiative, professionalism, personal awareness, integrity, and exercises confidentiality in the appropriate areas of his/her performance. The incumbent shares in the Atlantis Casino Resort Spa support of the company’s Vision, Mission, Values, and consistently performs all functions in a fashion that inspires and motivates others to actively pursue them. As part of the leadership team, role models the expected behaviors of service, positive attitude, cooperation and accountability. Engenders trust in others and develops credible relationships at all levels.
**This is an entry level analyst position.
**No experience required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform financial analysis using financial ratios and accounting principles
- Market share analysis with key findings presented in a concise manner
- Up-to-date on public filings and disclosures from sector participants
- Conduct operational and labor cost analysis
- Build reports using Cognos BI, as well as various other operational and financial reporting systems
- Model, map and test data to support Cognos BI structure building
- Use SQL to query the data warehouse and accomplish business objectives
- Use stored procedures to load the data warehouse, dig into the data indexes, data structures and map entities
- Provide technical support to the Financial Planning and Analysis team and to the operations teams; the ideal candidate will act as the first line of support for statistical and financial information
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
TECHNICAL/PROFESSIONAL KNOWLEDGE (Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience)
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Business, Computer Science, or a related field
- An understanding of accounting and finance fundamentals
- Proficient in MS Excel
- Knowledge of SQL Server Management Studio, Cognos BI, or have a desire to learn
- Possess business analytics skills to translate data into information in a usable format
- Ability to work independently with great attention to detail
- Possess effective skills for managing projects
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information to both technical and non-technical team members
- Be able to prioritize, organize and “get it done”
- Accuracy is a “must”, creative mind and being a team player are essential qualities
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with ethical integrity; Upholds organizational values.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments. Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
The incumbent in this position works on-site at the casino and interfaces with external/internal customers, Team Members, and vendors on a regular basis. The position’s work schedule varies and may include Saturday/Sunday and evening work depending on the needs of the operation.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel crouch or crawl; talk, and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to focus.